10 Boston Halloween Adventures for Adults and Kidsby Johnny Monsarrat
by Johnny Monsarrat
Massachusetts is the capitol of Halloween, because we have Salem. And there's so much more to do than hit up Halloween events at bars. Here are some scary destination ideas for adults, and some for kids, too!
Salem: Learn some Real History
On the North Shore, Salem adds dozens of special events in October to their year-round tours and museums -- and you can reach them on the commuter rail! Watch an outdoor movie on Salem Common, follow a re-enactment witch hunt in Salem's Pioneer Village, and see spooky play in the House of Seven Gables, based on Nathaniel's Hawthorne's book of the same name, or watch a re-enacted witch trial in Cry Innocent. It all ends with fireworks on Halloween night. I also recommend the Haunting of Hammond Castle on the North Shore, which takes place in a real castle.
A Real Battleship
Closer to Boston, did you know there's a real battleship you can tour in Quincy? The USS Salem is a Heavy Cruiser turned into a haunted ship for the holiday, and they have special non-scary kids days as well. If you don't drive, it's right off the bus line. The closest truly spectacular attraction to Boston is Barrett's Haunted Mansion, on the South Shore, in Abington, MA.
What makes a corn maze better? Trying to solve it at night as lurking creatures wait for you! Near Worcester, my favorite has got to be the Davis MegaMaze Halloween Fright Nights, at a corn maze you can also attend during the day when it's suitable for kids. They've also got a farm and petting zoo with apple picking across the street. Nights and days, Mike's Maze at Warner Farm near Springfield is also open.
All Across the State
Farther afield I recommend the Harvest of Horrors on Cape Cod, which includes a stage show and near Lowell the Cataclysmic Castle of Fear, which includes carnival rides. Or make it three-hitter in Fall River at the Asylum of Horror, Factory of Terror, and Haunted Rail Yard, at a real railroad museum.
Out west, I loved the Haunted Hay Rides at McCray's Farm last year near Springfield, and in the Berkshires, The Mount, the historic home of author Edith Wharton, offers spooky tours and a reading of ghost stories.
Too scared? Go with a group of friends. You can bring a mask and try to scare people waiting in line! Don't just sit around this weekend. Get out and have some fun!
Johnny Monsarrat writes Events INSIDER, New England's largest source of festivals, with 4,000 outdoor summer movie, theatre, and music events and shows. Read the Johnny Monsarrat story of getting lost on a mountain at night, and check out his Facebook on Boston events, and his Tweets on what to do in Boston and beyond.
This article originally appeared as a guest post on the Mass Official Tourism Blog and is reprinted with permission.
- 'Six Degrees of Separation' - The Rich Aren't So Different (3.5 Stars) (Nov 18, 2015)
- Speakeasy's 'Casa Valentina' A House Divided (3.5 Stars) (Nov 3, 2015)
- Huntington's Latest Offering A Thought-Provoking 'Choice' (5 Stars) (Nov 3, 2015)
- 'Saturday Night/Sunday Morning' Is An Unpredictable Gem (5 Stars) (Oct 27, 2015)
- Traveling to Greenville, Maine (Oct 26, 2015)
- Zombie Apocalypse (4.5 stars) (Oct 26, 2015)
- Barrett's Haunted Mansion (4 stars) (Oct 26, 2015)
- Haunted Overload (5 stars) (Oct 24, 2015)
- Haunted Acres (5 stars) (Oct 23, 2015)
- Room Escape (3 stars) (not Escape the Room) (Oct 23, 2015)
- Escape the Room (5 stars) (not Room Escape) (Oct 22, 2015)
- 'I and You' - Life, Death and Walt Whitman at MRT (4.5 Stars) (Oct 19, 2015)
- 'A Number' Is Infinitely Thought Provoking (5 Stars) (Oct 19, 2015)
- Fiddlehead Delivers Gritty, Powerful 'West Side Story' (5 Stars) (Oct 19, 2015)
- Theatre on Fire's 'Clown Bar' A Barrel of Laughs (4 Stars) (Oct 13, 2015)
- Hysteria at Connors Farm (5 Stars) (Oct 13, 2015)
- Meow Meow Wows at ArtsEmerson (4.5 Stars) (Oct 12, 2015)
- 'Billy Elliot' Shines at NSMT (4.5 Stars) (Oct 7, 2015)
- 'Kansas City Choir Boy' Shares the (Courtney) Love (4 Stars) (Oct 4, 2015)
- Bridge Rep Serves Up Imaginative 'Salome' (4 Stars) (Oct 3, 2015)